Race Licensing

How Do I Get My Race License?

Read this section in the NASA CCR about licensing.

Read this section if you have little or no track experience:

In order to be considered for a license, you will need to have participated in a NASA HPDE 3 open passing group or bring documented proof that you are qualified to drive in an open passing environment. If you are not already a regular NASA participant and can’t provide proof of experience, you will be required to start the process in the HPDE environment to verify your experience level. If you are not able to prove your skill level, you will have to spend some time in the HPDE program working up to the required level.

Once you have achieved or proven the required skill level, you will find that each region has slightly different programs for their competition schools. All NASA regions have an in-house competition licensing programs that prepare new drivers to join our competitive racing series.

Racing School

As an alternative to going the HPDE route, you may elect to attend the Ford Racing School, the official driving school of NASA, based at the state-of-the-art Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah. This is the only school in America that will allow you to demonstrate the required skills necessary to earn a NASA provisional competition license accepted in any NASA region nationwide. The FRHPDS four-day licensing school is designed to take someone with little to no experience and put them on an accelerated learning curve to help them attain a competition license upon successful completion of the course.

Read this section if you have a current or expired license from another organization:

Go to www.drivenasa.com and obtain a membership, then upload the following information to your profile:

  1. Completed Provisional License Application
  2. A copy of your state driver’s license
  3. A copy of your racing license
  4. Complete the medical form
  5. A coversheet with a credit card number with expiration date
Read this section if you have track experience, but never had a license (from any org):

You will have to participate in a region’s licensing program to obtain a Provisional License. Contact your Regional Director for more information about programs in your home region.

Renewing your NASA license:

Check the medical expiration date on your last license.

  1. If expired, complete the medical form
  2. If not expired, use this link: https://form.jotform.com/drivenasa/license-application
Provisional License holder information:

Once a driver has been issued a Provisional License, he/she will only be allowed to compete in those events hosted by the Region of issuance (special exceptions may be granted upon request). Each time a Provisional License holder completes a race without incident, he/she must obtain the signature of the Race Director, or the Race Director’s appointee.

Once four races have been signed off, the Provisional License is complete, and will automatically be converted to a National Competition License by the Mid South region. The provisional book must be filled out and turned in to the Race Director at the beginning of an event and collected at the end of the event.

Note- NASA Provisional License holders are defined as “Rookies” (according to the CCR) and will remain so until they have finished eight races without significant incident, even though the provisional book is completed after four races without incident. Rookie drivers must comply with the requirements in section 13.2 of the CCR.

Further instructions are on the forms and you can call the National Office at 510-232-6272 with any questions you may have.